Why I haet Blackboard Learn:
1. There is no mass edit.
2. It’s sticky as all hell. When you create something new (an announcement, test, file, module, -anything-), you get a dashboard with a box for a title and then a box for the text. Sometimes, you try to type in one of the boxes and you simply can’t. It hangs. The only way to work with this is to click in whatever is the opposite box until it un-sticks. So if you’re in the title box, click on the text area and wait for the page to unstick. What utter effing b.s.
3. It takes forever to refresh. Hum de dum. La la la. Solitaire, Minesweeper. File my nails. Oh, it’s refreshed.
4. Corollary to #3 – Everything must refresh to change. For instance, test questions must be uploaded in RTF without formatting. So you have to go back and edit every one individually (corollary to #1 and #2). When you add formatting to multiple choice questions, like adding capital or lower case letters to the distractors, the page refreshes in the middle of the process. So you have to wait for it to reload before you finish editing the question.
5. When you load up multiple choice questions, Blackboard strips the apostrophe and double quote marks. If you write your test on a word processor, cut and paste it into an RTF file in Notepad, you must remember to change all apostrophes and quotes. If you don’t, you have to edit EACH question BY HAND and wait for the page to REFRESH for each question.
6. You have to mass upload the questions in an RTF format. This means all your formatting such as bold, underline, and italic is stripped. To correct…well, see #1 – 5.
7. You think you might be able to cheat and save some work by copying a test from one section to another the way you can copy a document. But nooooo. You have to download the test into a .zip file and then upload it to the other section.
8. When you write things in the text boxes, sometimes the first letter is automatically nudged over with a random space, thereby messing up your formatting, which is bothersome for an OCD person like me.
9. Discussion boards are stupid. You can create a board several different ways but the boards created are all different. You can’t access them in one place; you have to go through the same route that you went to create them. Confusing? Yes! I mean that you can create a board either through the tools panel or through the module/page tab. Create and/or insert. That’s what they really mean. Or? What? It’s just effing confusing.
10. It sucks.