A New Jack Bilander Etching: Sammy

This Jack Bilander print, named “Sammy,” has been for sale for a year, overpriced and lingering out of reach, and I have yearned for it. My want has surpassed the call of nostalgia. Perhaps my desire is simply from the mere wanting of it.

I saw a performance at the NOLA Fringe Fest in which a character from the narrative dismisses his desire and lust for the woman he loves by admitting that desired objects are interchangeable. A hole, he states, is just a hole. Well, yes, that’s obvious, isn’t it.

The point of a hole is that it remains incomplete, never filled. It will always be empty and vacant.

I bought this sweetly etched boy tonight. The seller dropped the price after a year of my desiring. I snatched it up with the ferocious swiftness of a fat-fisted child in a school yard fight. Is it an art collector’s greed, the hunger of nostalgia, or just lack?

Mine.

Maybe this doe-eyed boy has a friend out there waiting for rescue or a parent gazing from a tenement window, sitting in one of Jack’s favorite poses. I’ll go look…

KGrHqMOKjkE5e2BzKCIBOeg5QNJg60_1

Related Posts:

9 comments for “A New Jack Bilander Etching: Sammy

1. mark
    January 16, 2014 at 7:14 pm

found your post in a google search for ‘jack bilander,’ and understand your joy completely. 🙂
    I also was over-joyed to discover a ‘Sammy’ during a treasure hunt, and had to take it home and place it on the wall. I now have 8 bilanders on that wall, and admire each of them every day. but don’t ask me to explain it, as putting that feeling into words is almost intimate. 🙂
    mark

2. ~LS~
    January 29, 2014 at 8:52 am

I’m so glad you posted! I’m so glad that Jack has so many fans! I would love to see pictures of your etchings.

• mark
      June 28, 2014 at 7:35 am

Still gathering Jack’s work together –I’ve found 17 now from ebay, auctions around the country, and just plain luck. And I know there are so many more that I would love to find, save and hang… subway, general’s house among others. Just wanted you to know that I understand your passion, and share it. 🙂
      I’ve been able to locate his work from 1950 through the late 1970s, but not sure how to share them with you – recent favorites, if I can have favorite, are Brooklyn Bridge, East River, Solitude, Boy Feeding Pigeons, and two very early stone prints…
      mark

• Lisa Bilander-Gray
      July 13, 2014 at 11:03 am

Sammy is Jack’s nephew, my cousin. I have a number of Jack’s prints and would love to see more

3. CARLA
    February 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I am a niece of Jack’s and this etching is of a cousin of mine, Sammy, one of his nephews. I would be curious to know where you have found his work and the price range of his etchings. I do like them and have been thinking of buying more of them. Appreciate the information.

• ~LS~
      February 25, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hello Carla! I would love to see a photo of Sammy! I’ve seen some of the prints go for upward of 300.00 and as low as 10.00 or 15.00. On average, they are around 50.00. I’ve let some go on E-bay that I liked a lot, but I wouldn’t pay much for. I’ve been ripped off a couple of times, too. I’m getting better at identifying what’s what. I’d love to hear more about your family.

4. Cindy Fisher Wechter
    June 9, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi. You write so very evocatively and beautifully. Jack was my cousin and I loved reading your remembrances of him. I spent a great deal of time both in his apartment and his studio over many years, and I too remember those smells, watching him at work, the plants near the bars on the window sill, joining him at his favorite restaurant in Chinatown, chowing down on iron steak and barbecued shrimp… I think I might have a couple of etchings that I would be happy to send to you if you are interested.

5. Jeff Ivey
    April 28, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Hello, Today I came across this print called “Sammy” 1 with Jack Bilander 53 signed on one side in pencil. I am not an art person but the print sucked me in so i took it home. I was trying to find more info on it when I came across this post. Can someone tell me more about this artist. Did he sign all his work in pencil? Does the 53 stand for 1953. Any info would be awesome.

• Laura
      June 24, 2017 at 10:59 am

53 means it is the 53 print in the series, I expect. You can google Jack Bilander and find out a little about him on the Ro Gallery website.