Trailers for the new Fame and all the buzz about the remake’s quality have gotten my attention. The cast includes Debbie Allen, Bebe Neuwirth, Kelsey Grammer, and Charles S. Dutton. I’m hopelessly retro, though, because the original Irene Cara song, and Erica Gimple’s version are better than the generic remake. No matter how corny the old versions are, they just capture the spirit better.
I already talked about Seether’s remake of Careless Whisper. The Covers Project, a pretty decent website, has a list of..well…covers. But here’s my hopelessly retro feelings on the subject.
My top ten list of pointless cover songs in no particular order
1. Anything by Britney Spears (goes without saying….)
2. Imagine by John Lennon, pointless cover by Perfect Circle
3. It’s My Life by Talk Talk, pointless cover by No Doubt
4. Love Song by The Cure, pointless cover by 311
5. Kiss Me by Six Pence None The Richer, pointless cover by New Found Glory
6. Emotions by the Bee Gees, pointless cover by Destiny’s Child
7. Free Falling by Tom Petty, pointless cover by John Mayer
8. Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door by Bob Dylan, pointless cover by Guns n Roses
9. Sweet Thing by Chaka Khan, pointless cover by Mary J. Blige. I do like their duet, and then of course I adore Chaka Khan’s duet with Prince. (it’s a couple of minutes into the video).
10. Dancing Queen by Abba, pointless cover by S Club 7 (I’m embarrassed to admit even know it exists, but it’s from my niece’s pre-tween days; I’m sure she’s embarrassed to admit it too).